Sunday 22 September 2013

The Diary Days - Episode 2

A week passed by and I was still looking out for a job. I was confident that Pioneer Corp would never revert but knew I would definitely land up getting a decent job.
I usually believed in this philosophy - things happen at the right time.The time hadn't come for me yet and probably had to struggle a bit more to get my dream job.

I belonged to an upper middle class family. Dad an Engineer with the Indian Railways and Maa a banker. Both did well in their careers and were heading their respective divisions. My parents worked very hard all their lives and always guided me and my brother to take correct decisions. The field that I had chosen was out of my family’s league. My parents were not very happy when I said I wanted to take up fashion designing, get into media and be a part of the glamour world. The only profession appealing to them was either being an engineer, a doctor or MBA. All my cousins were doing very well as engineers or doctors or MBAs and were well placed in their respective fields. I was the odd one out - glamour world. Though my relatives were not very supportive or must say not happy with what I had chosen for myself but my parents supported me. They trusted my decision and knew I was excellent with my work and would do well in this field.

I was grateful to them for giving me a chance to prove myself and had promised to never let them down. I had a “Plan B” ready in my mind.  In case I failed, I would quietly take up MBA (marketing) and act as my parents say

I realized how important it is to speak to your parents about your career choices and even for parents to understand their children.

Clear thoughts and communication - first key to success. If you manage to unlock this, you have already  climbed your first step towards success.

It was Monday morning and I was ready to start over again- naukri.com, applying for jobs, speaking to friends and college seniors, getting references, forwarding my cv and so on and so forth.

Around 11 am, the cell phone rang. Hi I'm calling from pioneer corp am I speaking to Ziya?”

“Yes”, I said taking a deep breath. “I have some good news for you.  Congratulations! You have been selected and I’m glad to offer you the position of a Management trainee. You will be working with the branding team .Can you come down to collect your offer letter. May be around 4 pm?”

I was over whelmed, over joyed. Finally my search ended and I have a job now. What a fantastic start to the week! I picked up the phone and spoke to my maa and paa.

"Thank you Lord" saying that my mother congratulated me for the new job.

I was ready at 2 pm, reached at 3 and got the offer letter at 4. ‘Management trainee – branding’. That’s what it read. I signed my offer letter and pushed off as early as possible.

But before leaving I looked around from one corner to the other. The place as huge, employees moving up and down, full of energy and positivity.  I was hoping to get a glimpse of the guy who took my interview. Couldn't see him around but knew I would work with him. I had a mischievous smile and left in peace.

The joining date was exactly after a week.

I shopped as if there was no tomorrow. Formal, perfumes’ bags shoes. I grabbed whatever I could see.  


I was anxiously waiting for ‘THE DAY ...MY FIRST DAY AT WORK.

1 comment:

  1. :) I am all smiles.. So true pri. Communication with parents really helps.. Good one..

    Eagerly waiting for more lessons.

    ReplyDelete